Where does nano save files?

Where does nano save files?

by Faisal Halabeya -
Number of replies: 3

Maybe a basic question, but I'm using a Mac, and I am wondering how to open files in nano that are saved elsewhere on my computer. I tried ^R and putting in the filepath (e.g. /Users/username/Downloads/gameof1d.cpp) but this doesn't seem to work. I also don't know where nano saves the files after exiting. Are they accessible locally or do they disappear after closing the terminal?

In reply to Faisal Halabeya

Re: Where does nano save files?

by Ramses van Zon -
Nano saved the files in the directory from which you started nano. Are you using nano on the Teach cluster? In that case, they would not be on your Mac, just on the teach cluster.
In reply to Ramses van Zon

by Faisal Halabeya -
Thanks, I think I figured out how to navigate the teach cluster. Is there an easy way to transfer files from my Mac to the teach cluster or vice versa? I tried the "scp" command but I kept getting an error:
In the terminal I inputted: scp "/Users/me/PHY1610Assignment2/cells_def.h" lcl_uotphy1610s2470@teach.scinet.utoronto.ca:~/assignment2
and I got the error "no such file or directory" even though both file paths should exist.
In reply to Faisal Halabeya

by Ramses van Zon -
Was this when you were still logged into the teach cluster? When you are logged in, the terminal cannot reach the files on your Mac, like /Users/me/PHY1610Assignment2/cells_def.h . You need to be logged out to do the scp command. But if you were logged out, check that you typed the filename correctly, with "ls /Users/me/PHY1610Assignment2/cells_def.h".